Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The pedi is going to think...

That I am dodging them!

Last time we had an appointment it was SUPER cold (10 to 15 below zero) and Aaron was sick so I had to cancel.

Today, it is Zero degrees, I put the carseats in the car gather up the children, drive away...and make it 1.5 miles before the car DIES. Just driving along and chug chug die...crap.

I try a few times to restart the car, it wants to, but won't. Pull out the cell phone, call Pete...uhhh hi, we are dead beside the road, wanna help?

So he leaves from work and I try to start the car again. Yay! It starts. Okay good, maybe I can nurse it back the 1.5 miles to home. Start to turn around, sputter, sputter...kaput. Dead. With the whole hind end of the car in the middle of the road and both kids in the backseat.

Lovely. I get out and assess the situation. We are taking up the entire right lane of the road and the roads themselves are still covered in snow and a bit slick. I try and push it more off the road. Its not budging..not a chance. Between the thick snow on the road and the hard tires from the cold...not.a.chance.

So I look around and notice a garage that is open and a brushed off jeep in the driveway and go begrudgingly and ring the doorbell. An older gentleman answers the door and I explain myself..."Hi, my car died in the middle of the road and I was wondering if you might be able to help me get it off the road a little more. There are two kids in it. My husband is on his way."

He thinks for a minute and says he would rather not push it but that maybe his jeep can help push it off the road a little more. Okay, cool, that works, fine. He gets his jeep up and we make sure the bumper of the jeep doesn't obliterate the bumper of my Subaru and we get it enough off the road that its not blocking the whole lane.

I thank him and he asks how long until my husband gets there. I tell him probably 5 or 10 minutes because he only works downtown, so he invites the kids and I inside to sit in the livingroom and stay warm while we wait.

Husband shows up, starts the car, he gets it another half mile before the stupid thing dies...again. So I pack up the kids in the running car that the husband brought and we drive the last mile back home. I get the kids out and feed them etc and hubby grabs the book to fix the car...and leaves to go try and fix the car.

He has since returned twice for a few other things and I am guessing made a trip or two to the car part store. I am still not sure what is wrong with it other than something to do with the car not getting gas, even though it has half a tank.

The whole ordeal started at 12:20 with my car dying and it is currently 5 after 3pm. Car still isn't home an hubby is still working on it.

In the midst of all this I had to call the pedi to tell them we weren't making it to our appointment, again, because my car died.


1 comment:

Jenny said...

Oh my gosh - what a day!!